Do you remember the 99 cent chair I won on eBay? One of the biggest bargains I've ever managed to wrangle! I felt so bad when I went to pay the poor seller, I tried to offer her $5 but she wouldn't take it, so I figure OK, it's meant to be. This weekend I finally got around to doing something about it. Here's a recap of it before.
The plan is for it to be my sewing chair to go in my studio, so after sanding it back and washing it I painted it white to match the other chair and other furniture. Then came time to recover that seat, it is far from comfortable.
I went down to Clark Rubber and they cut me some foam for the seat. I bought high density foam so hopefully it will stay comfy enough for quite some time. Of course, I'm using fabric from the Drawing Room collection by Anna Maria Horner.
First I gave the seat and foam a light spray of glue, just to keep it from slippping around while I covered it with a light wadding, just to slightly round off the edges of the foam and give a nicer look and feel under the fabric. I also gave the wadding a light spray glue as well, just to keep it to the foam. Using my trusty staple gun I then just pulled it taut and stapled away. That part is fun!
Then it's on to covering with fabric. Position your fabric exactly how you want to. I also gave the fabric a light spray with the glue as well, but it's probably not necessary. Trim your fabric and then start stapling. My tip would be to actually press down on the foam as your pulling it taut to make it as tight as possible. I would recommend two people, I did this by myself and while it's definitely do-able, I think the extra hands would not be unwelcome.
And voila! I'm done. It's certainly far from perfect but I think I'm happy. I'll be giving it a good test run so hopefully it goes OK. I can't believe how easy it is to give an old chair a new lease on life, the whole thing probably only cost be about $35 - including the chair, so I think it's definitely worth a little bit of work.