I am so late on this project. I bought this beautiful fabric from Joel Dewberry's Ginseng range for my 'Winter Themed' lounge room colours, you know, to match the new cushions I made to give the room a warm feel. Now that we're well and truly into spring, I've finally got it done. I'm annoyed with myself, but that's life I guess! In a week or two I'll switch to 'Summer Theme'. :)
So, I got this lampshade that I've been using for the past two years and decided to cover it. Before, it was just chocolate brown suede, which did work but didn't inject much colour into the room. Rather than buying a new one to cover, I figured I'd just use the old one. The lampstand was actually made by my uncle when he was back at school (35 odd years ago)! I love having things from within the family.
After cutting out my fabric to roughly the right length and width, I quickly sewed a hem on one end to keep it all neat and tidy. Using spray adhesive, I covered both the lampshade and my piece of fabric and waited until they went tacky.
Once the fabric was stuck on, I went around and gave it another little trim just so there wasn't too much overhang. Once it was trimmed, I stuck some double sided tape to the fabric and pressed it down around the inside rim of the shade.
I also stuck some ribbon on inside the lamp just to cover the ugliness of the fabric inside. it took all of about 10 minutes and now I have a lovely new lampshade, which gives some really nice colour to the lounge room.